A poisonous eastern European weed recently found growing in North Carolina and Virginia is being blamed for putting a Virginia teen in the hospital for two days after he touched it, according to media outlets in Virginia. The sap of giant hogweed plants can cause blisters, burns and even potential blindness in humans, experts say. Proof came this week when Alex Childress, 17, of the Fredericksburg area of Virginia, chopped down one of the weeds while doing yard work Tuesday, and it fell against his face and arm, reports the Richmond Times-Dispatch. By the end of the night, he was in a burn unit of a Virginia hospital, where he stayed for two days, the newspaper reports. No one covers what is happening in our community better than we do.